Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Olive You!

Guess what's coming? Yup that wonderful holiday where everyone loves to celebrate love. My Hubby has never quite caught on to Valentine's Day, he swears it's a holiday made up by Hallmark. I'm ok with that, we never celebrate on the day, because rubbing elbows with hundreds of other "lovers" in a restaurant is somewhat uncomfortable, although it does give us something to stare at :)

When I was teaching English as a Second language, I use to teach about all of the Holidays we celebrate... and Valentine's Day is an actual holiday, an actual human, and it's actually about love.

Our Valentine routine goes a little something like this:

As soon as I wake up I give him his card...  he puts it on his mental list of things to do - pick up card, this gives him time when he is out at work to pick up a card for me,  and when he comes home from work, he is carrying a super cute little red envelope with a darling little message inside of it (usually something I'd be totally embarrassed to show anyone, and I blush just to think about all of these little cards that I will have to keep hidden from the kids if we ever have any).

It's kinda a winning combination.  We both fulfill our societal obligations, neither of us is disappointed, we both know the routine, we spends lots of quality time together, and we celebrate and prioritize love and our marriage all year long, not just one day.

So does Valentine's Day make you happy or sad- It's usually pretty polarizing... Where do you land on the spectrum?

If you are single, how does it make you feel?

If you are in a couple / married and your significant other /  spouse doesn't live up to your expectations, how does it make you feel?

Do you discuss your expectations together?

Do you usually fight on valentine's day? (this used to happen to us- all caused by those unfulfilled expectations. every. single. year (!) I know, right?!)

I'd love to know how you do Valentine's Day.
Leave a comment below and,

Share the love,
M.


LostBumblebee ©2015 Olive You | Free Printable | Valentine's Day | Personal Use Only.
4x6
LostBumblebee ©2015 Olive You | Free Printable | Valentine's Day | Personal Use Only.
5x7

LostBumblebee ©2015 Olive You | Free Printable | Valentine's Day | Personal Use Only.
8x10




2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I'd celebrate (and have done so) any holiday - real or imagined- that comes down the pike. My Mom wasn't big on holidays, but she made sure to have researched (at the library) what the concepts of each holiday was for, so that she could share it with me. Though she wasn't really crafty, she tried making decorations for each holiday as well, and pasted/taped (and one time sewed) the decorations to big posterboard.

    That being said, I tend to side with your hubby about Valentine's Day, even though I've celebrated it. Pretty much lucked out with a couple of ex-boyfriends who went all out on the day, but was never depressed or sad if I didn't get at least a card. But don't get me wrong - I do not knock anyone who gets into Valentine's Day. :)

    The idea that every day is a holiday is more where I'm coming from, and if you have someone to celebrate it with that makes it all the more awesome. Love that you and hubby celebrate regardless of what day it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing... we do celebrate - sometimes with less love and more loud yelling- but a celebration of life none the less- i guess you could call it :)

      I love that your mom was so creative in getting you guys involved... life can be so mundane if we are not careful to protect the beauty of it... I feel like she did that for you... what a blessing!

      Thanks again for sharing!
      M.


      Delete

FRIENDLY REMINDER

Thanks for stopping by and spending a little time getting to know a teeny tiny bit about me. I hope you're enjoying the free printables and the tidbits of inspiration along the way.


Just a little reminder: *Please note all free printables and images are free for Personal Use.


They may not be used for resale or commercial use without written permission. >> If you are using these images on your website or your blog you must link back to www.lostbumblebee.net


Please visit our INFO page.

Thank you :)

M.


All LostBumblebee® Prints ©2009-2019 Melissa Dawn Baker Nguyen (Basically to Infinity and Beyond)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...